This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 3063-3163 ELSWORTH SMITHS STREET
12/57 The Manor House 31.8.62 (Nos. 18,20,22,24)
Manor House, built between 1656-1660 for Samuel Disbrowe (d.1690). Early C19 alterations. Soft red brick and C19 gault brick painted, C19 plastered timber frame. Plain tile roofs.
Two storeys and attics. Symmetrical plan of two projecting wings hipped to main elevation and flanking central range raised c.1800, main entrance also moved to West wing. Main facade.
Band between floors and tarred brick plinth. Entrance with six-panelled door in original cross passage position; wooden verandah with hipped plain tile roof, C19 nine-paned hung sash window to left hand and two fifteen-paned first floor hung sash windows. Wings each with two ground floor and first floor twelve-paned nearly flush framed hung sash windows in gauged brick arches. Two hipped dormer windows. Interior has some late C17 and C18 panelling, doors and sash windows and early C19 alterations include pilastered decoration to West entrance hall. The house has recently been converted to three dwellings. Samuel Disbrowe was keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland during the Civil War.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs mon.3, p.86 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.337 Davis, E.M. Elsworth Manor 1981 C.C.
Evans, E. Church and Village of Elsworth 1981
Listing NGR: TL3157463678
© Mr Brian Jenkins. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jenkins, Brian
Rights Holder: Jenkins, Brian
Brick, Plaster, Tar, Tile, Timber, Stuart Manor House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building