This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD4761SE GEORGE STREET 1685-1/8/119 (North side) Town Hall Computer Block
Fire station, now offices. 1908. By Edward Mountford. For Lord Ashton, as part of the scheme for the Town Hall (qv) on Dalton Square. Baroque Revival style. Sandstone ashlar and slate roof with coped gables. Rectangular plan, 5 bays wide and 3 bays deep, and one storey plus an attic, with a tower rising behind the fourth bay. Shallow pilasters on the corner carry a cornice with a blocking course which rises into the gables on the sides. The first 3 bays, originally doorways for the fire engines now blocked and partly glazed, have a flat arch with a triple keystone and a cornice. Above the third bay, in the centre of the facade, the blocking course is pierced by a many-paned lunette with a triple keystone under a coped gable. The right-hand portion of the facade contains a round-headed doorway flanked by slightly taller windows with triple keystones. The right-hand side has a central doorway (now blocked) with a Gibbs surround, flanked by windows with triple keystones and surmounted by a round-headed mezzanine window (now largely blocked). All the original windows have 12-pane sashes. The left-hand side has, on the first floor, a stone oriel with canted sides. The tower has in each face a many-paned lunette with a triple keystone under a cornice and blocking course. It is capped by a copper-covered dome and an ornate wrought-iron weather cock (now painted) with an urn-shaped body.
Listing NGR: SD4789761493
© Mr Charles Satterly. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Satterly, Charles
Rights Holder: Satterly, Charles
Ashlar, Copper, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Fire Station, Civil, Transport, Office, Unassigned, Building