This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD4761NW CASTLE HILL 1685-1/6/35 (East side) 18/02/70 No.9 (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE HILL (South East side) Nos.9 AND 9A)
House, now flats and shop. Late C18, altered and partly rebuilt c1975 and perhaps originally the right-hand half of a pair. Sandstone ashlar facade in narrow courses with plain quoins, with rebuilt coursed rubble to the rear and sides, rendered on the left. Composition tile roof with gable chimney to the right. 3 storeys above a tall basement, expressed as a plinth with deep coursed stonework, and 3 bays under an eaves cornice. The windows, which have 12-pane sashes, some recent replacements, have raised plain surrounds with a sill band on the ground floor and, on second floor, lintels linked into a band below the cornice. The doorway, on the far left, also has a raised plain surround and is reached up a flight of 6 nosed steps with iron railings on both sides. The deeply-recessed door originally had 9 raised and fielded panels, but the top panels are now glazed. To the right of the doorway is the original entrance to the basement and the shop, now down steps but originally through a trap door. The rear has a recent ground-floor extension and a wide very tall staircase window to the right.
Listing NGR: SD4746461819
© Mr Charles Satterly. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Satterly, Charles
Rights Holder: Satterly, Charles
Ashlar, Iron, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Apartment, Shop, Commercial, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Railings, Barrier