This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PARISH OF RISLEY DERBY ROAD SK 46 NE 2/88 (North Side) Churchyard Walls, Gates 10.11.67 and War Memorial to S of All Saints Church GV II
Churchyard walls, gates and war memorial. 1707 with later repairs and c1920. Red brick walls, partly with patterns of vitrified headers, and sandstone dressings; war memorial in stone. Plain square brick gate piers, approximately 10 feet high with moulded stone cornices, each of which has a short stone pedestal over with a ball finial on a moulded base to top.
The eastern gate pier has an inset stone just below the cornice dated '1707'. Between the piers is a scrolled lantern arch with central lantern, and below are a pairof C20 wooden gates.
Attached to the outer side of each pier is a ramped outward curving wall with a chamfered plinth, rounded stone copings and lozenge patterns in vitrifed headers. Attached to the ends are lower brick walls with similar copings which encircle the churchyard, these walls also have small abutments at regular intervals. Set against the curve of the western wall is the war memorial which has a moulded square plinth with a deep base above inscribed with memorials for the victims of the first and second World Wars. Over this is a tapering square pier, with inset panel to east, inscribed in raised numerals, to base, '1914-1918'. The top is finished with a simple moulded cornice.
Listing NGR: SK4610135663
© Mr Ray Kennedy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Kennedy, Ray
Rights Holder: Kennedy, Ray
Brick, Sandstone, Stone, Wood, Stuart Gate, Georgian Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, War Memorial, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site