This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PARISH OF BRETBY THE GREEN SK 22 SE 2/10 (North West Side) Church of St Wystan II Parish church. Rebuilt in 1877. Irregular coursed sandstone and timber framing to porch and bell tower. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridge cresting. Coped gables with gableted kneelers and cross finials. Chamfered plinth. Nave with bell tower, south porch, chancel, north nave aisle north chapel and north vestry. The south elevation has a gabled timber porch on stone plinth, rebuilt in 1966. Plain pointed arched inner doorway with single chamfer and hoodmould. Plank door with wrought iron hinges. To the left a 2-light window with flat arch and panel tracery, returned hoodmould and segmental relieving arch. To the right of the porch a similar single light window and a 2-light window. The south side of the chancel has four steps with low side walls up to a four-centred arched priests doorway with moulded surround under returned rectangular hoodmould. Decorative cross in a recessed panel above. To the right a round-arched single light window.
3-light east window with panel tracery. Pair of tiny ventilation lancets above. The north side of the chancel has one plain rectangular window. Gabled north vestry has a 2-light trefoil headed window to east and a four-centred arched doorway to the north. A chimney stack rises from the gable. Gabled north chapel has a 3-light window with panel tracery. Lean-to north aisle has two triplets of trefoil headed windows and a 2-light window to west with triangular head. The west elevation of the nave has a 2-light window with reticulation unit, flanked by heavy buttresses using masonry from the previous church.
Triplet of tiny lancets above. Rising from the nave roof is a square bell tower with tapering sides and pyramid roof. The lower part shingled, the upper part timber framed, with four trefoil-headed louvred openings to each side. Interior: Three bay north arcade with octagonal piers and moulded arches.
Moulded chancel arch, the inner order on corbels with ball flower. The nave roof is a panelled pointed tunnel vault of trefoil section, with castellated tie beams and wall plates.
Canted panelled chancel roof. Octagonal font with quatrefoils in the panels. Tiled floors and sumptuous tiled sanctuary with mosaic reredos which has as its centrepiece a C15 Flemish Style painting, a copy of Rogier Van Der Weyden's Deposition set against a naturalistic landscape background derived from other sources. Perp Style parclose screens to the north chapel.
Pews, reading desk, pulpit, lectern, communion rails etc, all of c1877. Stained glass: in the east window 1866 by A Gibbs.
Sanctuary north and south windows 1868 by Cox & Son. Nave south windows, late C19 with pale colouring. On the chancel south wall a brass to the Ninth Earl of Chesterfield 1866. Organ at the west end by Nicholson & Lord of Walsall.
Listing NGR: SK2941223277
© Mr Thomas Bates. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bates, Thomas
Rights Holder: Bates, Thomas
Sandstone, Stone, Tile, Timber, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument