This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WITHERSLACK CHURCH ROAD SD 48 SW (West side) 5/48 Church of St Paul 12,2.62 II*
Church. 1664-71; heightened and vestry added 1768. For Peter Barwick with money left by Dean John Barwick. Roughcast stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel, west tower, north vestry and south porch. Slate slabs to base on south and east facades; modillioned cornice to south facade. 4 straight-headed double-chamfered-mullioned windows to north and south facades, of 3 lights, round-headed above and below transom, and with label moulds, those parts above transoms inserted 1768. South facade has gabled porch to west end, with coped gable and ball finial; round-headed entrance has continuous moulding, hoodmould, and studded door with strap hinges, wooden lock, and latch; similar entrance between 1st and 2nd windows has ogee-headed plaque above inscribed: "REVEREND JOHN/BARWICK S.T.D/BORN IN THIS/HAMLET LATE/DEAN OF S PAUL'S/BUILT THIS CHAPPELL/A.D.1664". North facade has small pulpit window between 2nd and 3rd windows, 2-light wooden mullioned frame with leaded glazing; small gabled vestry to east end has pointed entrance to west and east window of 3 round-headed lights, leaded glazing with opening light. East facade has segmental-headed window of 5 stepped lights, round-headed above and below transom, hoodmould; ball finial to gable. West tower has stepped base and projecting embattled parapet; window of 2 round-headed lights, leaded glazing and opening light to west face, 2nd stage has similar single lights to west and north, square clock face with single hand, 1731, to south; top stage has openings of 2 round-headed lights with slate louvres, 2 rainwater heads to west. Interior: coved ceiling has cornice and ceiling rose; Ionic screen of 2 columns and pilasters to east end. Entrance to tower baptistry has architrave, frieze and modillioned cornice. Plain round font on square base. Late C17 pulpit with relief panels and C19 tester, reading desk made from similar panels; taken from original 3-decker pulpit. Painted boards with Barwick and Derby arms; Royal arms, 1710; board recording repairs, 1768. Pews and choir stalls with relief panels and ball finials, 1880. Wood memorial to Ann Thornborrow, 1770, architrave, frieze and broken pediment. Geoffrey Stanley, infant died 1871, marble effigy of baby; alabaster memorial to Earl of Derby died 1908.
Arcaded altar rail and Jacobean-style reredos, 1880. Lords prayer, creed and commandment boards. Memorial to Dean Barwick, latin inscription, 1664; family of Rev J. Barwick, 1766. Painted glass to east window, attributed to Henry Gyles of York, cherubs, Derby and Barwick arms, cross, nails and "IHS" surrounded by rays with inscribed ribbands. A rare example of a church of this date.
Listing NGR: SD4317484191
© Mr CJ Wright. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Wright, Cj
Rights Holder: Wright, Cj
Ashlar, Roughcast, Slate, Stone, Stuart Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Date Stone, Commemorative Stone