The Anglers Arms And Attached Buildings At Rear / The Anglers Arms Public House

Date:
29 Aug 2000
Location:
The Anglers Arms And Attached Buildings At Rear, 47 Goodramgate, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7LS
Show all locations
The Anglers Arms Public House, 36 Goodramgate, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7LS
Reference:
IOE01/02688/24
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

YORK

SE6052SW GOODRAMGATE 1112-1/27/408 (East side) 14/06/54 No.47 The Anglers' Arms and attached buildings at rear

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.36 The Anglers' Arms Public House GOODRAMGATE. Public house and attached outbuilding at rear. Front range c1500 with early C17 wing, altered in mid C19; mid C19 inn front: outbuilding c1600, with later alterations. MATERIALS: all parts timber-framed: front range has plastered front, rear some exposed timber-framing with brick infill, some orange, some reused, some rendered: wing has exposed timber-frame on first floor and ground floor encased in red brick in stretcher bond; part of wing rebuilt in orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, painted on ground floor: pantile roofs and brick stacks. Outbuilding rebuilt variously, in orange brick in English garden-wall and stretcher bonds and red brick in random bond, with tile and pantile roofs and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: front range 2 bays of 4-bay range shared with Nos 49 and 51 (qv), 3-bay wing, and 3-bay outbuilding at rear. 3-storey 2-bay front with jettied first and second floors: first floor jetty encased in boarded fascia projecting on coved and shaped brackets. Inn front has folding panelled 3-leaf door to left of centre and 3-panel door at right end, both with plain overlights: window to left is of plate glass with divided transom light, over painted brick riser; to right, large plate glass window and smaller one further right, both over moulded panel risers. First floor has pivoting 2-pane window flanked by squat 4-pane sashes, second floor two 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes, all in raised architraves and with applied diamond lattice leading. Second floor jetty plate is moulded; eaves cornice, moulded and dentilled, on shaped brackets. Wing has one C20 and one 4-panel door; windows are various and include 16-pane sash on ground floor, 4-pane sash and two 2x3-pane Yorkshire sashes on first floor. Outbuilding has various doors and two 2- and 3-light windows to first floor at rear. INTERIOR: front range has exposed timber-framing on all floors, with studded cross-walls on first and second floors and studded partition walls between rooms on second floor retained. Entrance screen and ground floor walls lined with C19 board panelling. Part of first floor removed to form 2-storey central bar on ground floor. First floor room to right screened with re-used incised-panel shutters. On second floor, room to left has cast-iron fireplace with coved frieze decorated with leaf and rosette mouldings. On third floor,

3-panel door at foot of newel stair in rear corner. Rebuilt bay of rear wing has staircase from ground to second floor, with boxed lowest flight, upper flights with turned balusters and plain handrail. Outbuilding has inserted upper floor. The inn was known as The Board in 1852. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 138-140).



Listing NGR: SE6048052098

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1717 IOE Records taken by Martin Roberts; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Martin Roberts. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Roberts, Martin

Rights Holder: Roberts, Martin

Keywords

Brick, Pantile, Plaster, Render, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational, Oubliette, Unassigned, Building