This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 8493 CHURCH BANK (North End)
12/50 Church of St. Andrew
7.12.66 II* GV
Church. C12 - C15, restored 1864 and 1889, and vestry of 1906. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar, and leaded, part parapetted,roof. Stone coped gables and vestry stone stack. Collyweston slate roof to S porch. W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel, SE vestry, and S porch. Late C13 W tower incorporating small section of Norman herringbone masonry, of 3 stages, with angle buttresses with set-offs. W lancet, lancet to N on 2nd stage and 4 paired bell openings with bar tracery. Shafts and dog-tooth decoration on arches. Corbel-table, with heads and little arches, and ball flower frieze over. Broach spire with remains of corner pinnacles, clock faces to W and S, 2 tiers of lucarnes, and finial with weathercock. Nave arch is triple-chamfered and has tripartite shafts with moulded capitals. 3 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, one with foliage frieze and heads. N respond has small naked man. 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers.
Perp clerestory with 3 3-light windows either side. 5 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof, dated 1774 and 1743, perhaps for restoration. N aisle has flat-topped NW window, 3 N windows, 2 flat-topped, N door and NE lancet. N window has stained glass of 1856 and NE lancet C19 stained glass.Piscina. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Chancel has N window, blocked N door, E window with stained glass of 1889, 1-light over, and probably C19 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. To SE the Vestry and S chancel chapel with 4-light Perp window. S aisle has 2 flat-topped windows, with stained glass of 1872 and c1900. S porch has doorway with double chamfered arch. Many-moulded S door. Inside are small piece of stone cross shaft with interlaced design and Royal Arms on panel, probably Georgian, but unusual heraldry. Partly Cl7 hexagonal oak pulpit on C19 base. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SP8489193187
© Mr David Foulds. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foulds, David
Rights Holder: Foulds, David
Ashlar, Lead, Lincolnshire Limestone, Pargeting, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.