This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CORFE CP ST2219 CORFE VILLAGE 12/20 Barton Grange 25.2.55 II GV Kitchen wing of country house, now flats, Mid C16, altered early C17, extensively remodelled early Cl9, largely demolished 1931. Rendered over rubble exposed quoins west front, hipped slate roof behind parapet with moulded cornice, large stall south-west corner, another to rear. Plant rectangular wing of larger U-plan building facing west and now demolished, stair turret on north front. Three storeys, single bay of original 7-bay (west) elevation, 7-bay returns. West end: second storey 2-light window in truncated opening, carved console brackets to lintel and amputated jambs, flat string below, first floor tall C19 mullioned and transomed window, ground floor early C20 flat roofed canted bay with leaded lights; irregular fenestration in returns, Cl9 Tudor arch head windows ground floor west front,main entrance via stair turret. There is a moulded depressed 4-centered arch doorway in wall to rear wing with date stone beside: "WFG(oodenough)1747". Interior: partially seen, stick stair, C18 panelling on first floor and C16 stonefire surround. In poor condition at time of survey (March 1985).
This was the site of the Prior of Taunton's summer residence which was purchased at the Dissolution by Humphrey Colles. He is said to have had a very grand mansion here and lies with his descendants in the Church of St Andrew and St Mary, Pitminster (qv).
Collinson declares that the mansion was built in the C17 from who it passed in the female line to a friend of Gainsborough's Goodenough Earl, whose grandfather Stuart Goodenough died here in 1720. Lady Cooper extensively remodelled the house in the early C19 and it was mostly demolished in 1931. It is illustrated in Escott. What remains is disappointing, the only external feature of quality is the mutilated second floor window on the west front. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 77,1931; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Collinson, 4 History of Somerset, Vol 3, 1791;Escott, Somerset: Historical, Descriptive 1910).
Listing NGR: ST2274719845
© Mr Eddy Allen. Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allen, Eddy
Rights Holder: Allen, Eddy
Render, Rubble, Slate, Medieval Service Wing, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Kitchen, Flats, Multiple Dwelling, Dwelling
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.