Church Of St Guthlac

Date:
30 Jun 2001
Location:
Church Of St Guthlac, Church Lane, Great Ponton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire
Reference:
IOE01/07417/24
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LITTLE PONTON AND CHURCH LANE SK 93 SW STROXTON (north east side) 4/107 Church of 20.9.66 St. Guthlac G.V. I Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C15, 1657, north aisle added 1856.

Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar, plain tiled, slate and stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle and vestry. The west end of the nave has a coursed limestone rubble plinth and ashlar gable wall with chamfered offset. The C19 2 light window has above a shouldered opening containing a single bell. To either side and above are carved human head corbels. In the gable is the raised inscription "Anno D 1657".

The squared limestone rubble and slate roofed north aisle has a single C19 lancet and a pair of 2 light C19 windows with cusped heads to the lights and trefoils over in late C13 style. The vestry has a pair of lancets to the north side. The east window is of 3 lights with shallow 4 centred head, in original C15 surround with hood mould and human head label stops, but with C19 tracery. Above are 2 trefoil heads and pierced roundel under a pointed hood mould. The chancel in coursed limestone rubble with stone slate roof has a single late C13 2 light window with cusped heads to the lights and trefoil over, and a single plain lancet.

The south wall of the plain tiled nave has a single blocked pointedarch to a former south aisle with an inserted C15 3 light window, largely recut C19. Above the blocking to the east a blank rectangular opening. Beyond the porch the rebuilding in ashlar of the west end can be clearly seen, and a C17 2 light cross mullioned window has cusped heads to the transoms and chamfered mullions. The gabled south porch has a double chamfered pointed opening with reset C12 imposts, and side benches. The early C14 inner doorway has roll moulded pointed surround, hood mould with human head stops. Above the door a 2 light pointed headed window. Interior. C19. 3 bay north arcade with double chamfered round arches, circular piers and responds.

Blocked C14 single bay south chapel arch, recut C19. Mid Cll chancel arch with low roll moulded rounded arch, square cut responds with angle shafts having crudely carved decorated capitals with scrolls and roll moulded run out imposts. From north aisle to vestry a C19 archway. In the chancel a C19 archway to organ chamber, a pointed headed aumbry and piscina with trefoil head in south wall. On the west wall a C14 octagonal statue bracket with pendant finial. The C19 nave roof is supported on re-used corbels. The south-westernmost one is a re-used piece of Anglo Saxon interlace. Above the chancel arch C19 painting onto the stonework. All fittings including the font are C19. In the chancel 2 marble wall plaques. c.1740. To members of the Daye family and 2 further early C19 plaques to the Pennyman and Towne families. In the south wall of the chancel is an inscribed stone slab to William Thorold, d.l725, and above the Thorold coat of arms. Coat of arms and slab have stone bolection mouldings. Little Ponton Hall was probably built for this Thorold. This building is listed Grade I because of its fine Saxo-Norman chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SK9248732234

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1496 IOE Records taken by Terence G Onyon; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Onyon, Terence G.

Rights Holder: Onyon, Terence G.

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque