Rectory / The Old Rectory Wall And Gate Piers

Date:
30 Jun 2001
Location:
Rectory, Dallygate, Great Ponton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33 5DU
Show all locations
The Old Rectory Wall And Gate Piers, Dallygate, Great Ponton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33 5DU
Reference:
IOE01/07417/26
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

GREAT PONTON DALLYGATE SK 93 SW (north side) 4/95 The Old Rectory, wall and gate piers.

19.2.52 (Formerly listed as Rectory G.V. II* Former rectory, now house, wall and gate piers. C14, enlarged c.1520 by Antony Ellis, wool merchant of the Staple of Calais.

Altered C17 and perhaps cut down then, extended and altered possibly c.1826 by J. Langwith, C20 alterations. Coursed squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, pantile roof having,to the front only,with raised crow stepped gable with finial, central ridge ashlar stack. 2 storey with garret, having plinth and moulded string course, 5 bay entrance front. The left hand 3 bays are advanced and roofed under a catslide, containing planked door with to left a 2 light casement and to right a small opening. To the right is a C16 stair turret with facetted corner and single upper light. Beyond a 4 light C16 window and a panelled door with 4 centred head and hood mould. Above a further 4 light C16 window. To the right a lower C18 and C20 kitchen range. The 4 bay garden front shows much evidence of rebuilding, possibly where external stacks have been removed. To the right a French door in a C17 window opening, a 3 light C17 window and 2 C16 4 light windows, possibly reset. To first floor single C16 3 light and 4 light windows, and a 2 light C17 window.

In the gable end single C16 4 light windows to ground and first floor and to garret a 2 light window. All C16 windows have cavetto mullioned windows with arch heads to the lights, bowtell moulded surrounds, drip mouldings. Interior. The C14 phase is represented by the wall between the parlour and lean-to range which has 3 pointed openings, 2 now blocked, possibly fossilizing earlier service entrances. The parlour chimney stack was possibly inserted C17. The ceiling girders are moulded, with run out stops, picked out with diagonal steps of black, ochre and red. The joists are also chamfered and stopped. The newel stair is C17 with turned bobbin balusters, moulded handrails, square newels with carved tops. On the first floor is an interesting series of C16 wall paintings in red and yellow, with stylised trees, peacocks and deer. The oak clasped purlin roof has queen post trusses and arched wind bracing. Attached to the gable end is a wall to the right and a gateway with square rusticated ashlar piers, moulded bases and hemispherical coping. To left a planked door with ashlar surround, incised lintel and above a coped wall. The Ellis family were related to the Coney family, also wool merchants, of nearby Bassingthorpe. Anthony Ellis built the adjacent Parish Church in 1519. Source: D. L.

Roberts.

Listing NGR: SK9246130422

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1496 IOE Records taken by Terence G Onyon; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Onyon, Terence G.

Rights Holder: Onyon, Terence G.

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Pantile, Rubble, Medieval Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Gate Pier, Unassigned, Wall, Monument (By Form), Barrier