Sandbeck Hall / Sandbeck Park (House)

Date:
22 Aug 2002
Location:
Sandbeck Hall, Maltby, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S66 8PD
Show all locations
Sandbeck Park (House), Maltby, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S66 8PD
Reference:
IOE01/07421/09
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

MALTBY SANDBECK PARK SK59SE 4/55 Sandbeck Park (house) 13.11.59 (formerly listed as Sandbeck Hall) GV I Country house. Core of c1626 encased and extended c1760 by James Paine for the 4th Earl of Scarbrough; later additions, interior remodelling of 1857 by William Burn for the 9th Earl. Ashlar magnesian limestone, roof not visible.

3 storeys with basement, 9 x 5 bays. In Palladian style. Entrance front to west: 1:2:3:2:1 bays, the central and outer bays breaking forward. Single- storey C19 entrance hall in extension from centre has vestibule of 1906 with Doric portico beneath central pediment with arms in tympanum flanked by shield-bearing griffins; rebated, rounded front corners; balustraded parapet with ball finials having bands. 3-bay returns with 4-pane sashes flanking pilastered central bays which break forward. Main range has plinth and rusticated ground floor; sashes with glazing bars beneath flat arches.

Attached to the front left corner is a balustrade which screens remains of the basement wall of the C19 service wing. lst floor: moulded string courses and moulded sill band to taller sashes with glazing bars, the outer bays with balustraded aprons and corniced architraves, the others with cornices only.

Taller, round-headed central window with pilasters and archivolt.

2nd floor: 6-pane sashes, the central 3 windows smaller. Modillioned cornice rising as pediments over central and outer bays, the central tympanum with pelican carved on a medallion. Balustraded parapet with C20 fibreglass urns.

Tall corniced stacks flank the 2-bay recesses. Rear least front): basement storey with rack-faced rustication and 6-pane sashes. Outer bays as front but with corniced architraves to all lst-f1oor windows, bays 1 and 9 with consoles. Central pediment extended aver a Corinthian portico having balustraded quadrant staircases rising to an arcaded loggia with round arches having shaped keystones 1st-floor string course and balustraded plinth beneath giant columns rising to a pedimented entablature bearing carving by William Collins of Ceres resting on the Lumley arms. Right return (south front): 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 bays canted and with taller ground-floor sashes, the central bay with open segmental pediment; sash above with corniced architrave, the others plain.

Interior: illustrated and described at length elsewhere (Girouard, 1965).

Cantilevered stone staircase, off the entrance hall, has curved iron balusters and wreathed wooden handrail; compartmented ceiling above. Room to ground-floor right (originally the sitting room) has fireplace with caryatids and relief tablet beneath cornice. Dining room to centre rear with C19 scheme including Ionic screen and heavy cornice. Of particular interest is the central C17 lst-floor gallery extending the full depth of the house with C18 scheme by James Paine having Ionic-columned fireplace with pastoral scene on tablet attributed to William Collins; 4 ornate doorcases; outstanding coved ceiling with Rococo and Neo-Classical motifs thought to be by Joseph Rose the elder. Bedrooms flanking the gallery each have a segmentally-arched bed recess flanked by Ionic columns and panelled doors.

The 1st recorded house at Sandbeck was built in 1626 for Sir Nicholas Saunderson. Sandbeck passed to Thomas Lumley later 3rd Earl of Scarbrough who died in 1752. The 4th Earl employed Paine to remodel the C17 house thus incorporating the lst-floor gallery unusual in a house of the mid C18. A C19 service wing linking the house to Sandbeck Chapel (q.v.) was demolished in 1954.

T. W. Beastall, A North Country Estate, 1974.

M. Girouard, 'Sandbeck Park, Yorkshire I-III', Country Life, Oct 7th, 14th, 21st, 1965.

N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed, p429-430.



Listing NGR: SK5690190269

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0669 IOE Records taken by Paul Eggleston; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Paul Eggleston. Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Eggleston, Paul

Rights Holder: Eggleston, Paul

Keywords

Ashlar, Magnesian Limestone, Tudor Structure, Elizabethan Unassigned, Stuart Counting House, Jacobean Domestic, House, Dwelling, Service Wing