This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MARKET LAVINGTON PARSONAGE LANE SU 0054-0154 (west side) 12/170 No 11 (The Old House) 19.3.62 I Manor house. Early C14, C16, remodelled late C17-early C18 and restored 1875. Roughcasted stonework with some brick, originally with some timber framing. Tiled roofs. Two storeys, 2 bays with cross wing at south-west end, rebuilt as double range wing.
Entrance within gabled porch of 1875 in angle with extended wing.
Timber ovolo moulded C20 windows with diamond pattern leaded glazing. The eastern range has two added further wings to east with a secondary entrance on north side. Numerous gables.
Interior: The house contains an early medieval double aisled open hall structure with contemporary cross wing of 2 bays within a rectangular plan of stone walls. Half bay at north-east end probably contained cross passage, and services possibly in a separate structure beyond, now absent. Spere truss against passage and central truss of hall has large archbraces springing from outer walls to cambered collar between square set arcade plates. Crown post above with steep straight braces to upper collar and collar purlin. Trenches for former louvre near apex of rafters. Wall posts to stone wall dividing wing from hall. Roof over hall smoke blackened. Similar crown post truss to centre of wing. Fireplace, probably C16, inserted into cross passage, stone, with 4-centred arch and rounded arris. Secondary stair at side. Main stair in extension of wing forward, late C17-early C18, with turned balusters and heavy handrail, swept up at newels. Main drawing room in north-west corner, formerly the wing, has C17 oak panelling and cornice, the ceiling divided by deep chamfered cross beams.
Gable stacks. Centre dining room within former hall, has main fireplace, described above, and early C18 panelled dado. Room behind stack now kitchen. Chamber over dining room has bolection moulded fireplace in stone. Some C17 iron casement windows to first floor windows, with quadrant stays and turnbuckles. The only known aisled hall in the county.
(Report by RCHM December 1972)
Listing NGR: SU0146954204
© Mr David Witherow. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Witherow, David
Rights Holder: Witherow, David
Brick, Roughcast, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Aisled House, Monument <By Form>, Aisled Building, House, Domestic, Hall House, Dwelling, Cross Passage House, Cross Wing House, Manor House, Open Hall House, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Service Wing