This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 73 SE PADIHAM VICTORIA ROAD
3/48 Stockbridge House 28.8.1953 - II*
House, now old people's home, mid-C17 with some early C19 alterations.
Sandstone, random in hall but coursed in cross-wing which also has copings on kneelers. Concrete tiles. L-shaped plan with hall and cross-wing, with central axial chimney stack and subsidiary stack (probably C19) above hall gable. Original front (now facing garden) altered in early C19 (sundial above doorway bears inscription 'Made by J. Blackburn 1829') so as to have a roughly central doorway with chamfered jambs and Tudor-arched lintel under a hoodmould and to its left, on both floors, a 3-light mullioned window with a similar one to the right on first floor. However, below this on ground floor is the original 8-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed hall window (with a hoodmould); this has a king-mullion and ovolo inner chamfers.
Cross-wing to right has a 6-light mullioned and transomed window with ovolo inner chamfers on ground floor (to light parlour), a 5-light mullioned window on first floor and 3-light stepped windows in gable, all double-chamfered under hoodmoulds. Original rear of building is now entrance front and was remodelled in early Cl9 with a roughly central doorway with panelled and glazed door, a 3-light window on each floor to right, one similar window to left on first floor and, presumably, on ground floor though this is now hidden by a C20 outshut. Cross-wing projects to Left with a 3-light stepped window in gable, a 5-light mullioned window on first floor (both double-chamfered under hoodmoulds), a Cl9 4-light window to left on ground floor and, on right, 3 original windows related to staircase. Interior: Hall has fireplace with 4 centred moulded arch 2.5m wide; parlour has a simple cornice around most of room and 2 panels of elaborate plasterwork representing vine-trails between ceiling beams which have simple stops. Dog-leg staircase at rear of cross-wing has stone steps.
House used to belong to the Shuttleworths of Gawthorpe Hall.
Listing NGR: SD7984633574
© Mr Peter Hyde. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hyde, Peter
Rights Holder: Hyde, Peter
Concrete, Sandstone, Stuart House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Nursing Home, Health And Welfare, Residential Building