This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5428NW CHADDOCK STREET 941-1/14/57 (South West side) Nos.32-35 (Consecutive)
Row of small town houses in 2 pairs. c.1830, altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Double-depth plan, each house single-fronted, with back extensions separate at the ends and coupled in the centre, and a through-lobby in the centre of each pair. Two storeys over cellars, a symmetrical 8-window range, with 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and moulded gutter cornice. The doorways, to the left at No.32, coupled in the centre, and to the right at No.35, all up 2 steps with nosings, have round-headed architraves with set-in Tuscan quarter-columns, plain lintels, and semicircular fanlights with convex moulded surrounds, Nos.32 and 35 with radiating glazing bars and No.32 also with a 6-panel door (other fanlights and doors altered); the lobby doorways, between Nos.32 and 33, and Nos.34 and 35, have wedge lintels and board doors. Each house has one window at ground floor and 2 above, those at No.32 and at 1st floor of No.35 sashed without glazing bars (others with altered glazing), all with raised sills and wedge lintels; cellar windows with wedge lintels and gratings. Large linear multiple-flue chimney stack at the centre of each pair. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected. Forms part of an almost complete set of late Georgian lower-middle class houses in this street.
Listing NGR: SD5404428984
© Mr Roger Black. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Black, Roger
Rights Holder: Black, Roger
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Town House, Victorian Domestic, House, Dwelling