This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5429SW CHADDOCK STREET 941-1/12/59 (South West side) Nos.38 AND 39
Pair of small town houses (No.38 now in multiple occupation). c.1840, altered. Red brick in Flemish bond (tuck-pointed), with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Double-depth plan, each house single-fronted, with long separate back extensions and a central through-lobby. Two storeys at the front, 3 storeys at the rear, over cellars; a wide symmetrical 5-window facade, with 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and moulded gutter cornice. The doorways, to the left and right, up 2 and 3 steps respectively, have round-headed architraves with set-in Tuscan quarter-columns, plain lintels, and semicircular fanlights with convex moulded surrounds, No.38 with a 6-panel door and fanlight with radiating metal tracery (No.39 altered); the lobby doorway in the centre is unusual, being round-headed with a convex surround including imposts, a panelled door and a fanlight with radiating glazing bars (now blacked out). Each has one window at ground floor, but at 1st floor No.38 has 2 and No.39 has 3 (one over the lobby door): those at No.38 all sashed without glazing bars and those at No.39 all 12-pane sashes; all these windows with raised sills and wedge lintels. Cellar windows with wedge lintels and gratings. Large linear multiple-flue chimney stack in the entre. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected. Forms part of an almost complete set of late Georgian lower-middle class houses in this street.
Listing NGR: SD5401729022
© Mr Roger Black. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Black, Roger
Rights Holder: Black, Roger
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Town House, Victorian Domestic, House, Dwelling