This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX7466 CHURCH HILL 1011-1/7/2 (North side) Churchyard wall including lych gate and stiles to SW of Church of Holy Trinity
Churchyard walls to S and SW side of churchyard including a lychgate and 2 stiles. Walls probably medieval; stiles C19, lych gate early C19 in origin, restored 1971 according to a plaque. Local grey slatestone rubble; lych gate with slate roof and timber gates. Plan: the walls bound the churchyard on the S and SW sides. The S stile is connected to a steep path up from the town which begins as a long flight of steps (qv Station Road). Lych gate to the SW, fronting the road access from the town with a second stile to its E. The rubble walls are topped by a Devon hedgebank. The stiles each have large, irregular rounded standards with a single slab of slatestone between. Unusual lych gate design. 2 widely-spaced square section piers at either end are surmounted with pyramidal finials. Slate roof between, with a plastered soffit. A pair of gates in the centre are hung off moulded timber posts which extend to the roof of the lych gate. Pedestrian gate to the left; section of fencing to the right. The gates and fencing are of simple design with plain splat verticals with a slender central ledge, the main standards with shaped finials. Included for group value with the Church of Holy Trinity (qv), which is sited on a hilltop above the town.
Listing NGR: SX7418566534
© Mr Christopher Fransella. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Fransella, Christopher
Rights Holder: Fransella, Christopher
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Wall, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Barrier, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site, Lych Gate, Fence, Gate, Unassigned, Stile, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site