This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THORPE SALVIN CHESTERFIELD CANAL SK58SE 6/87 Ryton Aqueduct approximately 80 metres to east of bridge at Cinder Hill
Aqueduct partly in the county of Nottinghamshire. c 1777 partly reconstructed 1946. For the Chesterfield Canal Company, engineer James Brindley. Squared rubble limestone, south side rebuilt in blue brick. Treble-span bridge carrying River Ryton beneath line of canal. North side: 3 segmental arches with chamfered ashlar voussoirs interspersed with unchamfered keyed voussoirs and with projecting keystones; coursed rubblework above reinforced by 3 concrete bands; hammer-dressed, rounded copings to parapet. North wall of aqueduct bears plaque inscribed 'CONSTRUCTED/1772-7/RECONSTRUCTED/1946'; no other details of interest. Important relic of the Chesterfield Canal as engineered by James Brindley and built between 1771 and 1777 under the supervision of John Varley and Hugh Henshall.
The Chesterfield Canal, preservation society booklet, 1981.
Listing NGR: SK5502481245
© Paul Eggleston. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Eggleston, Paul
Rights Holder: Eggleston, Paul
Ashlar, Brick, Concrete, Limestone, Rubble, Georgian Aqueduct, Transport, Water Transport Site, Water Supply And Drainage, Watercourse, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument