This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EASBY B 6271 NZ 10 SE (north side)
4/34 St Trinian's Hall 4.2.69 GV II
House. Early - mid C18, later C18 and c1906. 1906 work for Leonard Jaques of Easby. Ashlar sandstone, red plain tile roof. Original house L-shaped of 2 storeys, 5 bays with wing to rear right, flanked by single-storey 3-bay wings, with added 2-storey range at right angles to rear right. Main house: early - mid C18. South (garden) front: plinth. Chamfered rusticated quoins. Central pedimented Doric portico with three-quarter columns, and early - mid C18 part-glazed door with 2 lower fielded panels. Flanking, canted bay windows with sashes with thick glazing bars, three-quarter columns at the angles, and stone roofs. First floor: sash windows with thick glazing bars in architraves, the central one eared and shouldered.
Classical cornice. Parapet with pedestals supporting ball finials at ends and intervals. Stone copings. Corniced stacks at ends and between bays 3 and 4. Wings: later C18. Plinth. Chamfered rusticated quoins at outer ends. First bay in left wing now a door, otherwise sash windows with glazing bars. End copings, with ball finials at kneelers. Corniced end stacks. Rear range, east elevation (right return); early - mid C18. Rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar achitraves to sash windows with thin glazing bars. Corniced central ridge stack. Projecting east from rear range: range of c1906, with 3-light sash window on ground floor and sash windows with glazing bars on first floor. West (left return) side of rear range: C18 range extended by addition of outshut dated 1906, and present entrance formed in angle with main block. Interior: in ground-floor room to left, dado with Greek key motif, fluted Tuscan pilasters flanking bay window, dentil cornice and, over doors (one now blocked), panels with carved wood floral festoons of high quality. In central hall, early-C18 stone fireplace with cast-iron grate and added frieze and mantelshelf. In ground-floor room to right, Roman Ionic columns flanking bay window, modillion and rosette cornice and cast-iron grate in Adam-style fireplace. In rear wing, staircase with turned balusters. A print of the house shows the wings having been added by c1785.
Listing NGR: NZ1924500562
© Mr Alan Bradley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bradley, Alan
Rights Holder: Bradley, Alan
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.