This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
869/10/197 ST CROSS ROAD 24-MAR-50 (East side) Hospital of St Cross and Almshouses of Noble Poverty (Formerly listed as: ST CROSS ROAD Hospital of St Cross Hospital Chapel, Under St Cross) (Formerly listed as: ST CROSS ROAD Hospital and Chapel of St John)
Founded 1136 by Henry de Blois, Bishop of Winchester. Church Transitional Norman C 12 - and C 13. Cruciform with massive central Tower. The buildings apart from the Church were enlarged during the Bishopric of Cardinal Beaufort early C15 and are principally of this period. Buildings entered from small court through Entrance Gate (C 14 - 15 detail), but with stone. HC 1675, to main quadrangle, with range of fourteen 2-storey almshouses with one tall shafted chimney to each house. The Hall with graceful 2-light windows adjoins on the West side the Main Gate Tower, which has a range of buildings over a cloister on the East side linking the Tower with the Church. One of the most beautiful groups of buildings in the country. The church was restored by Butterfield in 1864-5. Varying dates and rebuildings.
The buildings of the Hospital of St Cross form a group.
SOURCE: Buildings of England,pp.706-713.
Listing NGR: SU4782729152
This is part of the Series: IOE\Currie_Paul T. IOE Records for Currie, Paul T.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Currie, Paul T.
Rights Holder: Currie, Paul T.
Stone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Almshouse, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Hospital, Gatehouse, Unassigned, Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Chapel, Great Hall, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Cloister, Gate Tower, Defence, Fortification