St Mary's Church
- 31 May 2002
- St Mary's Church, Chilcomb, Winchester, Hampshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 4234 CRAWLEY CRAWLEY (North Side) 11/1 5.12.55 St. Mary's Church
GV II* Parish church. C12 foundation, C15 alterations and additions, and restorations and additions of 1887 and 1901. Flint and stone walls, with a tiled roof.
Chancel with north chancel (vestry) of 1887, nave of 3 bays with aisles, western tower and south porch. Plain exterior, with tiled roof, walls of flint with stone pieces and stone dressings. The chancel windows are lancets but the aisles have C15 coupled lights within square frames, with hood moulds terminating in carved heads. The plain tower, of small dimension on plan, has a top section of 1901, with crenellated parapat and triple belfry lights. The late C19 porch has a wood frame on a stone base wall. Inside, the pointed chancel arch (C14) rests on Norman jambs, with scalloped caps to the nook shafts; on its east side is an inserted fragment of zig-zag ornament from the original Norman arch. The nave was rebuilt in the C15, with a centre line north of that of the chancel, and it is likely that the 3 bay arcade belongs to the same date; it comprises a massive barn-like timber frame, of octagonal posts and arch braces, the missing king posts above the cambered tie-beams being replaced by higher collars. There are floor and wall monuments of the late C18 and early C19, a Perpendicular octagonal font, and inscribed brass memorial of 1609 (to Dr Reniger), a C19 pulpit, a C17 wood chest, and a cast-iron muniments chest of 1813.
Listing NGR: SU5114328877
Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Currie, Paul T.
Rights Holder: Currie, Paul T.
Flint, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship