This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 4824 TWYFORD SEARLES HILL
12/3 Twyford School 5/12/55 (formerly listed as Twyford School house) II Private school incorporating earlier house. Late C18 house which became preparatory school in 1809, wings added to side and rear, then and upper and lower school added c1819, dining hall and kitchens added in 1840s and chapel in 1869, and in late C19 main hall and linking buildings between school rooms, memorial library added to upper school in 1922. Brick with some chequer- work, old plain tile and slate roofs. Front of original house 2 storey and attic 3 bay with early C19 2-bay 2 storey wing slightly set back to left.
Central brick Doric porch with arched opening having key blocks, 5 C18 12-pane sashes with gauged brick arches. Dentilled eaves and hipped roof with 3 hipped 2-light dormers and large stack behind ridge to right. Addition has 2 french windows with segmental heads, that to left being wide and above it a large 15-pane sash with blind box, and 12-pane sash in right bay, roof hipped. Inside behind front on ground floor C18 hall in left 2 bays, with staircase all in unusual C18 style.
Listing NGR: SU4833324930
This is part of the Series: IOE\Currie_Paul T. IOE Records for Currie, Paul T.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Currie, Paul T.
Rights Holder: Currie, Paul T.
Brick, Slate, Tile, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Preparatory School, Education, Private School, School, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship