Parish Church Of St Mary / Church Of St Mary

Date:
27 May 2002
Location:
Parish Church Of St Mary, Queen's Street, Halford, Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, CV36 5BT
Show all locations
Church Of St Mary, Queen's Street, Halford, Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, CV36 5BT
Reference:
IOE01/07476/29
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HALFORD QUEEN'S STREET SP2545 (West side) 6/106 Church of St. Mary 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Mary)

GV II*

Church. C12 and C13, much restored in 1862 and 1883. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched tile roof. Stone coped gables. Ironstone quoins. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south-west tower. Chancel. Renewed 2-light lancets to north and south, renewed 3-light east window with cusped heads and quatrefoils.

Nave. An unusual 3-light lancet to north in sandstone with repairs in limestone.

C19 hood mould and label stop. Small Romanesque window with renewed stonework.

Decorated west window of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood mould. North doorway. Romanesque. Tympanum shows one of the earlierst known examples of a half-length figure. Gabled porch with round headed entrances. South aisle.

Romanesque south doorway badly weathered. C20 plank door. To right a 3-light Decorated window with hood mould and label stops. Similar east window.

South-west tower: 3 stages. Lancets to ground and first floors. Pairs of lancets to bell-stage. Embattled parapet with finials. Interior: Romanesque chancel arch with C12 niche to right. Chancel has C19 roof supported on foliated corbels.

Squint in west wall. Renewed 3-bay south arcade. C14 octagonal stone font with carved oak cover. Monuments in chancel to Francis wife of George Granger d.

April 14, 1674, and Mary and Anthony Apperley d.1783 and 1799. Marble wall tablet in nave to Mary Plumb d. 1763. Romanesque north doorway noted as the finest in the county.

(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.303).

(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp90-92).



Listing NGR: SP2588145615

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Schulenburg_Helmut IOE Records for Schulenburg, Helmut; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Schulenburg, Helmut

Rights Holder: Schulenburg, Helmut

Keywords

Ironstone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Wall Monument