Church Of St Mary The Virgin
- 17 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Mary The Virgin, Thurnham Lane, Thurnham, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 3LG
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 85 NW THURNHAM THURNHAM LANE (west side)
6/205 Church of St. Mary the 26.4.68 Virgin
Parish church. C12 to early C17. North chapel of galleted stone, porches of small uneven blocks of stone, rest random flint and stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, continuous nave and chancel with opposed north and south porches at west end.Rectangular north chapel towards east end of nave. Battlemented C14 tower of 2 stages, upper stage possibly rebuilt, with angle buttresses. Cusped single-light belfry openings, small Decorated west window and small west door with 2-centred arched head, lightly-moulded jambs and hood-mould. South porch: early C15, on plinth. Earlier inner door with 2-centred arched head and moulded jambs. South wall of nave and chancel contains 2 restored early Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds towards west end, one restored lancet and one cusped 2-light window with no central light, set in architrave with angled head. Slight trace of straight-joint immediately east of lancet; section to west C12 or C13, section to east C14. East end has clasping buttresses and large restored decorated east window under hood- moulds stopped with carved heads. North chapel: circa 1603.
Rectangular on high stone plinth with small hipped roof behind battlemented parapet. East wall has large rectangular window of 4 plain round-headed lights under hood-mould. Smaller 3- light window in same style in north wall, with restored blocked 3-centred arched doorway with rectangular hood-mould to west.
Small projecting stone stack at junction of west wall and nave.
North wall of nave has single restored early Perpendicular window.
North porch: similar to south porch, but with original roof.
Interior: Blocked round-headed Norman window in west end of north wall. C14 tower arch. Single C15 round-headed arch to north chapel, withmoulded capitals to piers, 3 possibly C14 crown- post trusses to nave with moulded tie-beams and crown-posts Chancel roof with collar purlin but no crown-posts. Chapel roof early C17 with moulded beam and joists. 2 very small stone fragments in south wall of chancel, one containing top of a small decorative shaft. Moulded corbels in north and south walls, possibly for rood loft.Aumbry. Piscina with shaped stone basin. 2-centred arched sedile with filletted roll-moulding.
Elaborately carved reredos in memory of Mrs. Julia Jane Hampson, d. 1904. wife of the Rev. William Seymour Hampson, made in Oberammergau. Late C18 or early C19 pews. Octagonal font, possibly C14, decorated with 8 different emblems. Monuments: 2 small brasses in Chapel floor; one to William Covert, one to Lady Barbara Cutt, d. 1618, who founded the chapel in honour of Sir Henry Cutt, knight, her first husband. On west wall of chapel, momument with open pediment and fluted pilasters with shield to base, to memory of Richard Sheldon Esq., d. 1736. Monument on south wall of chancel in form of parchment hung with drapes and surmounted by shield and gadrooned vase to memory of Mariae Dering, d. 1725. On north wall of chancel, monument with broken pediment containing plain urn, to memory of Thomas Wise, d. 1790 and other members of the family. Similar monument adjacent,to Thomas Burwash, d. 1791, and members of Wise family.
Listing NGR: TQ8023257319
Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Royall. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Royall, Peter D.
Rights Holder: Royall, Peter D.
Flint, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Tower, Unassigned, Building, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument