This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM2632NW CHURCH STREET 609-1/2/28 (North East side) 20/06/72 No.57
Shop with flat. C16 or earlier. Timber-framed with pebbledashed upper storey. Gabled clay machine-made tiled roof. 2 storeys with attics and jettied to street. Gabled cross-wing with single double-hung sash with 2 vertical glazing bars on first floor with C19 painted timber 'pediment'. Small 2-light casement to attic. Ground floor has early C19 shop front with door with reeded surround and fanlight. C19 bargeboards and console brackets under NW corner of jetty. Ridgeline stack with 4 decorative posts. Timber-framing is part exposed on NW flank corner. INTERIOR: C18 cornice plaster casing for bridging joist and spine beam, which suggest former intruded cross passage on northern side. Further rear block with Welsh slate roof and black weatherboarded SE flank. Crownpost here remains in situ.
Probably service wing of former hall house, (old photographs show row of 3 similar gables). (RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 135 (4)).
Listing NGR: TM2605932638
© Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Winder, Wilfred N.
Rights Holder: Winder, Wilfred N.
Clay, Pebbledash, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Welsh Slate, Medieval Service Wing, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Timber Framed Building, Monument <By Form>, Hall House, House, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial, Apartment