This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5377 Church of St Mary TL 84 SE 8/121 23.3.61.
The church stands about 500 m south of Chilton Hall in isolation, completely surrounded by agricultural land. At one time it is considered that a village stood by the church which was cleared when a deer park was made to Chilton Hall. A C15 flint church with embattled parapets to nave and chancel. The west tower is a C16 red brick with embattled parapet, corner crocketted pinnacles and heavy angle buttresses. A plain flint porch with a moulded brick parapet projects on the south. On the north side, opening on to the chancel is the Crane Chapel with 2 table tombs, one to George Crane (d 1491) and one to Robert Crane (d 1500) and wife. There is also a wall monument to Sir Robert Crane (d 1643) and 2 wives, carved in 1626 by Gerard Christmas. Grated for its architectural and historical value.
Listing NGR: TL8896942215
© Mr John Rodger-Brown. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rodger-Brown, John
Rights Holder: Rodger-Brown, John
Brick, Flint, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Table Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument