This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GREAT OAKLEY HIGH STREET TM 1827-1927 (south-east side) 7/33 Mill House
House. C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing NW, with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance. Full-length original out-shut at rear, roofed with red clay pantiles, and small C20 extension to rear of it. C19 single-storey extension to right, front wall of plastered brick, other walls of concrete, roofed with red clay pantiles.
Early C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left, with internal stack at rear, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. 2 storeys. 3-window range of C18 sashes of 12 lights, with crown glass. Central 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, the other panels flush. In the left extension, early C19 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, the middle panels fielded, the bottom panels flush.
Moulded plinth. Moulded eaves cornice. Stepped parapet at front of left extension. The left return has 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights on the ground floor of the extension, and one on the first floor of the main house, with crown glass. 2 wood-burning hearths, reduced for C20 grates, and an early C19 cast iron ducknest grate in left extension. Chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops in rear outshut. Main frame of hardwood, jointed and pegged, exposed in right ground floor room and on first floor. Early C19 half-glazed internal door to left extension. The name refers to a windmill which formerly stood 100 metres to the NE.
Listing NGR: TM1950827673
© Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Winder, Wilfred N.
Rights Holder: Winder, Wilfred N.
Brick, Concrete, Pantile, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Windmill, Industrial, Wind Power Site, Power Generation Site