The Old Rectory
- 17 Jun 2002
- The Old Rectory, The Avenue, Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12 5BL
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GREAT OAKLEY THE AVENUE TM 1827-1927 (east side) 7/22 The Old Rectory
House. Early C19, in Gothick style. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main house of complex plan, approximately square, with 3 internal stacks, facing N. Service wing set back to left, with end stack, and late C19 single-storey lean-to extension beyond, with slate roof. Main house of 2 storeys and attics, service wing of 2 storeys. The main house has a 3-window range of original sashes of 16 lights with shallow segmental arches, plastered reveals and crown glass. Central door with moulded stiles and 4-centred head, doorway with richly moulded jambs and arch, and in the spandrels a rose, portcullis and foliage, all of plaster, in buttressed and crenellated 2-storey tower-porch, with moulded plaster string at first-floor level, and 2 chamfered loops in each side wall. Grouped octagonal chimney shafts. The service wing has on the ground floor one C20 casement in an original aperture, another altered to a C20 glazed door with side-light, and on the first floor 3 original sashes of 3+6 lights with shallow segmental arches, plastered reveals and crown glass. Plain chimney shaft. The rear elevation has on the ground floor one original sash of 15 lights, 2 of 12 lights, and one tripartite sash of 5-15-5 lights, on the first floor one tripartite sash of 3-9-3 lights, one sash of 12 lights, 2 of 4+8 lights and one blind aperture, and on the attic floor one original sash of 6 lights, with flat arches of gauged brick, plastered reveals and crown glass. There are moulded plaster labels over most of the windows of the main house. This house is an exceptionally complete example of its style and period. Shown in the tithe award of 1841 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258)
Listing NGR: TM1889627209
Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Winder, Wilfred N.
Rights Holder: Winder, Wilfred N.
Brick, Plaster, Tile, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling