Church Of St Mary
- 6 Mar 2003
- Church Of St Mary, Church Street, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5HW
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL8506NE CHURCH STREET 574-1/10/13 (South side) 02/10/51 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12, C14 west tower and north porch; top stage of tower 1636; chancel rebuilt early C19; addition of south aisle and organ chamber and general restoration, 1885, by Frederick Chancellor, Diocesan Surveyor. MATERIALS: rubble flint and septaria with ashlar dressings; red-brick top stage of tower and chancel; plain tiled roofs. PLAN: west tower, nave with north porch, 4-bay south aisle and single-bay chancel with organ chamber to south. EXTERIOR: massive tower of equal width to nave with diagonal east buttresses and angle west buttresses. Some C12 moulded stone built into south-east buttress. C14 west door with similar detailing to south aisle of Church of All Saints, High Street (qv). Moulded arch with vine-trail and hood, jambs with attached shafts with moulded capitals and a foliate band, all very worn. Blocked windows above. Lancets to north and south sides, on the south side the head has been rebuilt in brick. String course of reused billet moulding. Thin red brick top stage with embattled parapet retaining bases of pinnacles. 4-centred bell opening with stubs of former tracery in brick. East wall has small C17 window of two four-centred lights. Timber-boarded polygonal lantern with shingled spire and weathervane. Nave: C12 unbuttressed north wall. A single round-headed slit window to the west, deeply splayed internally with stonework renewed externally. To east of porch a C15 Perpendicular 3-light window under hood. To east, restored C16 three-light square-headed window. Red-brick rood stair chamber under tiled roof, heavily restored, protrudes to east. Wide unbuttressed north porch has pointed entrance arch flanked by pair of trefoil-cusped lights with ferramenta; east lancet incorporating reused stone; blocked light to west; C14 north entrance with reused billet moulding to hood containing C18 doors. Porch re-roofed in clasped purlin form, incorporating earlier moulded tie beams. Embattled parapet to C19 south aisle with Perpendicular-style 3-light windows. 3-light square-headed clerestory window of same date. Chancel: 2-light Perpendicular-style windows. Large east buttress with tumbled-in brickwork. INTERIOR: Perpendicular west door between tower and nave. South arcade has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers.
Springing of very tall, wide C12 chancel arch, which was rebuilt in 1885. Rood stairs with upper and lower doors. Roofs all of 1885, that to nave has alternating tie beams and hammerbeams. FITTINGS: C17 pulpit. Good early C18 altar rails with twisted balusters. Font with gadrooned bowl. Paternoster and Credo Boards now on west wall, together with late C19 painted reredos. (RCHME: Essex: 1921-: 175-6; Kelly's Directory: Essex: 1902-: 279).
Listing NGR: TL8569006752
Copyright IoE Mr Michael James. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: James, Michael
Rights Holder: James, Michael
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Rubble, Septaria, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship