This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THORNHAM MAGNA THORNHAM PARK TM 17 SW 3/84 Nos. 1 to 5 (inclusive) The - Stables
Former stable block to Thornham Hall (not listed), now 5 dwellings and sheds.
1837-8 by S. Smirke for the 4th Lord Henniker, altered C20. Red brick with rendered and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Three sides of a quadrangular block in a Jacobean style. 1 storey with attics. 5 bay front: centre projects with a rusticated arch and quoining, 2 small upper lights with glazing bars, cornice to pyramidal roof splayed at base, timber turret with cornice to a leaded pyramidal pinnacle with ball and weathervane finials.
Flanking bays have plinths, dual glazing bar casements with rendered lintels, relieving arches, stone coped parapets. Outer bays have shaped gables, convex curves with steps, ball finials, ground floor dual and attic single glazing bar casements, all recessed. Right return has to rear of centre a gauged brick arch with stone impost blocks, scattered casements. Left return altered with later additions. Inside yard each arm has a rusticated arch, under stone coped gables on returns, arch to left is blocked, scattered casements and gabled dormers. Interior not inspected. (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary, 1978; H.R Barker, East Suffolk Illustrated, 1908-9, p. 474).
Listing NGR: TM1026671833
© Mr Edward Erbes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Erbes, Edward
Rights Holder: Erbes, Edward
Ashlar, Brick, Render, Slate, Georgian Stable, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Shed, Unassigned, Building