This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK3587NW ST JAMES' ROW 784-1/19/681 (West side) 28/06/73 No.15
Girls' charity school, now offices. Dated 1786. Brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with 2 gable stacks. Plinth, first and second floor bands, moulded eaves. 3 storeys; 5 window range. Windows mainly have brick flat arches. Slightly projecting centre, 3 windows, has moulded pediment with semicircular tablet inscribed "This Charity School for poor girls was built by subscription 1786". 3 plain sashes in the centre, flanked by single plain sashes. Above, five 6-pane tilting casements. Below, 3 round arches with rubbed brick heads and impost band, with central wooden doorcase with reeded pilasters and blank fanlight, and double 6-panel door. On either side, 2 plain sashes. INTERIOR not inspected. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 455).
Listing NGR: SK3534887482
© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: West, Barbara A
Rights Holder: West, Barbara A
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Georgian Charity School, Education, Free School, Elementary School, School, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque, Office, Unassigned, Building
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.