This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 9749 CARLETON CHURCH LANE
10/54 Inscription set into wall immediately east of Lych Gate to Church of St Mary GV II
Inscription on stone, early C16. Two worked stones with raised Gothic lettering partly legible: Anthonie Clyff(ord)...". These record the building of the tower of the previous church to the present Church of St Mary (qv). The Cliffords acquired the manor of Carleton in 1504. T D Whitaker, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, 1812. Listed for group value only.
Listing NGR: SD9735949792
This is part of the Series: IOE\Paley_Derek IOE Records for Paley, Derek; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Derek Paley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Paley, Derek
Rights Holder: Paley, Derek
Stone, Medieval Commemorative Stone, Tudor Commemorative, Commemorative Monument