- 21 Aug 2002
- Hare Hall, 5 Hanging Hall Lane, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 2HY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ69SW HANGING HILL LANE, Hutton 723-1/9/194 (South East side) 10/02/94 No.5 Hare Hall
House. Late C16, renovated c1965. Timber-framed, partly underbuilt with C20 yellow brick, partly plastered with exposed false framing, partly weatherboarded, roofed with machine-made and handmade red clay tiles, mixed. 3 bays aligned approximately N-S, with C20 axial stack between middle and N bays. C20 single-storey lean-to extension at each end. 2 storeys. All windows are C20 casements except one originally unglazed window on the upper storey of the rear elevations of the S bay, which is complete, with 3 diamond mullions, and C20 glazing outside. C20 door at rear, in glazed porch. The ground-floor walls are of C20 brick. The upper storey of the W elevation, facing Hanging Hill Lane, is plastered, with exposed false framing. The upper storey of the rear elevation is weatherboarded. INTERIOR: unjowled posts, heavy studding with arched bracing trenched to the inside. Frame wholly of oak of good quality, fully jointed and pegged. Most of the ground-floor studding is missing, except in the cross-wall between the middle and S bays; external walls rebuilt in brick. The N and middle bays have chamfered axial and transverse beams with large lamb's tongue stops, and exposed plain joists of horizontal section. In the S bay the floor structure is similar, but the soffit of the axial beam has been removed to increase clearance. On the upper storey the original studding and bracing is almost complete. Wallplates chamfered with runout stops. Splint fitted at an early date to reinforce a scarf in the front wallplate; type of scarfs uncertain. Original clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing, complete. The use of lamb's tongue stops in original members indicates that this house was built after 1565. The survival of one unglazed window, and evidence of others, and the joists of horizontal section, indicate that it was built before 1600. The arched bracing inside the studs, and the form of roof, are both compatible with this period. As the joists appear to be complete the original heating is assumed to have been by a rear stack. (Historic Buildings in Essex 2: McCann J: The Introduction of the Lamb's Tongue Stop: 1985-).
Listing NGR: TQ6190693553
Copyright IoE Mr David Batterbury. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Batterbury, David
Rights Holder: Batterbury, David
Brick, Clay, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Tudor Timber Framed House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling