Ray Place / Ray Place Farmhouse

Date:
30 Jun 2001
Location:
Ray Place, Mountnessing Road, Blackmore, Brentwood, Essex, CM4 0NX
Show all locations
Ray Place Farmhouse, Mountnessing Road, Blackmore, Brentwood, Essex, CM4 0NX
Reference:
IOE01/07539/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BLACKMORE

TQ69NW MOUNTNESSING ROAD 723-1/6/35 (West side) 20/02/67 Ray Place Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD MOUNTNESSING ROAD, Blackmore Ray Place)

GV II

House. C16 and early C18, extended in C20. Timber-framed, plastered and weatherboarded, red and black brick in header, Flemish and stretcher bonds, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. C16 2-bay range aligned N-S with axial stack, and to NE of it, early C18 parallel range facing E, with an external stack at each end. At the S end of the front range is a C20 single-storey lean-to with a weatherboarded loft over. In the NW angle is a C20 single-storey extension and gabled porch. Single-storey ancillary range to N of front range, weatherboarded, roofed with similar tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical elevation, with 5-window range of C20 sashes of 6+6 lights in original apertures, all with flat arches of gauged brick; the inner 2 on the ground floor have soffits shaped to a curved profile. Central door with 6 fielded panels, repaired or extended at bottom. Moulded architrave, the mouldings rising to a point over the door; flat canopy on profiled brackets. The front elevation is in header bond, mostly black, with window jambs and arches of red brick. Band of 3 courses of red brick in Flemish bond at first-floor level, interrupted over the door, ceasing before the returns. All pointed with cement mortar. On the right jamb of the window to left of the door is an inscription 'EG. 1721', another, 'I.G.' just above it, and in a similar position on the window to the left, another, 'H.G.', probably indicating the owners and date of construction of the front range. Near the right return are other inscriptions, '1726', 'A.S 1787' and 'A.F.F. 1867', and later graffiti. Moulded and modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof with two C20 casements of 3+6 lights in dormers with shallow segmental gables. The side elevations and stacks are in Flemish bond with many black headers; similar eaves cornice at right end, on each side of stack. The rear elevation of the front range is weatherboarded. The rear elevation of the rear range is of red brick in Flemish bond; the right gable end is of C20 red brick in stretcher bond, with a circular window; C20 casements to rear. INTERIOR: much altered. In the rear wall of the front range some hardwood studding and primary straight bracing is exposed on the first floor, with chisel-cut assembly marks. In the rear range, above the ground floor, is an axial beam with mortices for missing studs, and a triangular groove for wattle infill; plain joists of vertical section. Half-cellar at left end. So little of the frame is exposed that the proposed dating of the rear range is tentative. The brick front elevation has close similarities to that of No.98, High Street, Ingatestone (qv).

Listing NGR: TQ6114698904

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Batterbury_David IOE Records for Batterbury, David; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr David Batterbury. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Batterbury, David

Rights Holder: Batterbury, David

Keywords

Brick, Clay, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Medieval Timber Framed House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Graffiti, Unassigned, Decorative Surface