- 25 Jun 2002
- Crowdy Mill, Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9 7HU
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARBERTON 5X7856-5X7956 15/349 HARBERTON FORD 30.8.88 Crowdy Mill GV II Water mill in working order and adjoining mill house on Harbourne River.
Circa late C17 or early C18, possibly with earlier origins, enlarged in about 1840s and the mill raised by one storey and re-roofed in 1900. Restored to working order 1982-4.
Local stone and slate rubble. Mill heightened in rendered brick. Mill house has slurried scantle slate hipped roof. Mill has slate roof at higher level, hipped at south end and slate hung gable at east end. Rendered ridge stack with slate weathering and slate hung stack on east side.
Plan: The original C17 to C18 mill and mill house was L-shaped on plan with the mill to the left (west) with a projecting wing to the front (south) which was extended after 1840. The mill house to the right (east) was extended by one bay and enlarged to double depth plan to the rear (north) with a stack on the side wall. A lower wing was added at the rear in C19, after 1840 (not on tithe map). The ridge stack is the original gable end stack before the extension was added. There is a small lower gable-ended wing to the north of the C19 extension and a hipped roof single storey outshut in the angle.
Exterior: 2 storey house. 2 window range. C20 casements in original openings. Left hand with slated lintels, right hand with flat stone arches.
Central glazed door with large rebuilt early C20 glazed porch with cast iron finial and crested ridge tiles.
Mill to left (west). 2 storeys, heightened to 3 storeys in rendered brick.
L-shaped on plan with projecting wing which has a doorway in the end wall and first floor door above with hoist. Small window openings on south and east sides with C20 2-light casements with glazing bars. Doorway to first floor from higher ground level on west side with small ventilation hole to right with chamfered slate lintel and loft door above.
Interior: Roof of mill house has C19 nailed trusses and mill has circa 1900 roof. Machinery; restored working machinery. 2 overshot wheels, on north side, turn in opposite directions. Upper wheel turns 2 sets of mill stones through spur gearing and also drive ancilliary machinery. Lower water wheel drive single set of mill stones. Lower machinery is lay shot drive.
Reference: Martin Watts. Industrial Archaeology, vol 17 no 1, spring 1984, pp 47 to 51.
Listing NGR: SX7905156056
Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Keniston, Robert W
Rights Holder: Keniston, Robert W
Brick, Render, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Stuart Mill House, Georgian Domestic, Industrial House, House, Dwelling, Industrial, Watermill, Water Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Machinery, Overshot Wheel, Water Wheel