Stables And Shippon Immediately North West Of Great Englebourne
- 6 Jul 2002
- Stables And Shippon Immediately North West Of Great Englebourne, Harberton, South Hams, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARBERTON SX75NE Stables and shippon 5/363 immediately NW of Great Englebourne
Stables and adjoining shippon range. Circa 1823. Slate rubble, the stables have red brick window and doorway arches. Slate hung at rear of stables.
Grouted scantle slate roof with hipped ends and reused early creased ridge tiles.
Plan: Stable and coach house range with shippon range at rear forming overall L-shaped plan around yard.
Exterior: East front of stable wing has 2 coach house doorways to left with round brick arches and stone imposts. Segmental-headed stable doors and windows to right. 3 left windows and one doorway above. 3 rows of pigeon holes in south end wall with stone ledges. External stone stairs at rear to left over coach house.
Long shippon range at right angles to north west, with row of shippon doorways with segmental brick arches, some half blocked to form windows. Loft doors above, some blocked. One row of pigeon holes below eaves, with stone ledges.
The shippon is built into bank at rear with loft doors at higher ground level.
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX7778456957
Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Keniston, Robert W
Rights Holder: Keniston, Robert W
Brick, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Cow House, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Stable, Transport, Coach House, Road Transport Site, Yard, Unassigned