The Mills

Date:
6 Jul 2002
Location:
The Mills, Woodland Road, Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9 7TA
Reference:
IOE01/07543/21
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HARBERTON SX7856-SX7956 15/445 WOODLAND ROAD HARBERTONFORD The Mills

II

Woollen mill, later used as a corn and starch manufactury (White's Directory 1850), now occupied by agricultural merchants. Circa late c18 or early C19, reputedly 1789. Slate rubble. Slate hung on south side except for ground storey. Asbestos slate roof, gabled at west end and hipped at south east end. Slate hung end and axial stacks and rendered lateral stack.

Plan: Long rectangular range with shorter wing at west end at obtuse angle. At the east end of, and integral with, the longer east range, is the office and managers house. The shorter west range has open floors with loading doors to each floor. The top floor was completely open from end to end continuing without partitions over the manager's accommodation and office. Axial stack to house and office, lateral stack to front of main range and gable end stack at left (west) end.

Exterior: 3 storeys at east end a 4 storeys at west end, but roof the same height. Asymmetrical approximately 8-window range. Some old casements with glazing bars, some old windows with lapped glass panes. All the windows to the right hand east end of north front replaced with C20 casements, except for ground floor right which is an early to mid C19 French window with glazing bars and margin panes. The left hand range has wide loading doors on each floor with hoist above. Doorway on east end with semi-circular fanlight, and round-headed window to left, both with radial glazing bars.

Windows on the outer north side have segmental brick arches, those to right (west) have iron bars but are now clad in corrugated iron. Most of the windows to left (east) are C20 replacements.

Interior: The roof has bolted softwood trusses. The ground storey of west end has floor beams supported on iron posts which are said to have come from later adjacent mill building, probably when that building was reduced in height. Office has early C19 moulded chimneypiece and plaster ceiling cornice.

Listing NGR: SX7826956232

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Keniston_Robert W IOE Records for Keniston, Robert W; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Keniston, Robert W

Rights Holder: Keniston, Robert W

Keywords

Asbestos, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Managers House, Victorian Domestic, House, Dwelling, Woollen Mill, Industrial, Wool Manufacturing Site, Textile Industry Site, Textile Mill, Office, Unassigned, Building, Corn Mill, Mill, Industrial Building, Food Processing Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Starch Mill, Agricultural Merchants, Commercial