Blagdon Pumping Station
- 31 May 2002
- Blagdon Pumping Station, Blagdon Lane, Blagdon, North Somerset, Somerset, BS40 7UN
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 SW and BLAGDON C.P. BLAGDON LANE (west side) ST 55 NW
6/28 and 10/28 Blagdon Pumping Station
Pumping Station. Dated 1902-5 (on commemoration plaque on central chimney) by engineers T. and C. Hawksley. Beam engines erected by Glenfield and Kennedy of Kilmarnock. 2 engines in right-hand engine house removed 1949. Brick with ashlar dressings and quoins, plain tile roofs. U-shaped plan with projecting engine houses, rear connecting range and central chimney stack. Gothic Revival style. Each house of 2 storeys and attics with segmental headed entrances with nook shafts, foliage capitals and hoodmoulds with globular leaf stops. 2-leaf studded wooden doors part-glazed. Windows are 3 and 4-light cross-mullions with Caernarvon and Tudor-arched heads. Plate glass casements. 11 steps up to each entrance with moulded copings to side walls. Flush quoins, gables with kneelers and ball finials to apex. Interior. Huge cast iron beams in each house with intersecting tracery and trefoil-panelled piers with lotus-type capitals.
(Information sheet from Bristol Waterworks Company, June 1973).
Listing NGR: ST5029160011
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Bassingham. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Bassingham, Peter
Rights Holder: Bassingham, Peter
Ashlar, Brick, Cast Iron, Tile, Victorian Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Engine House, Industrial, Power Generation Site, Pumping Station, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Disposal Site, Water Supply Site, Water Regulation Installation, Beam Engine, Steam Engine, Steam Power Production Site