Church Of All Saints
- 25 Aug 2002
- Church Of All Saints, Church Lane, Kenton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14 6JH
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KENTON CHURCH LANE TM 16 NE 1/133 Church of All Saints 29.7.55 - II*
Parish church. Medieval. South aisle added in early C16 as private chapel for Garneys family. Restored 1871-2 by E. Hakewill. Nave, south nave aisle, chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Aisle is of red brick with diaperwork in dark headers. Nave and chancel have plaintiled roofs, the aisle roof leaded. Late C14/early C15 square 2-stage tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west; rebuilt crenellated parapet decorated with stone circles linked by a horizontal band.
Unmoulded west doorway; above is a 2-light window and at ringing chamber level a trefoil-headed lancet window. 2-light belfry openings. Nave has a late C12 core with original north and south doorways. The south doorway has one order of colonnettes with crocket capitals (one renewed) and a semi-circular keel-moulded arch; medieval door (repaired). The north doorway has a plain semi-circular arch. Nave windows, 2 to north, one to south, all renewed 1871: the lights have tall trefoil heads with quatrefoils or cinquefoils above; stilted arches. C15 south porch with knapped flint facade, the entrance arch enriched with 2 orders of crowns and flower motifs; jambs renewed. 2-bay aisle with 2-light hoodmoulded brick windows; 3-light east window. West entrance from inside porch: 4-centre arched brick doorway with original door.
North porch of 1871. Chancel has 3 broad lancet windows (2 to north, one to south) and a square-headed C15 window partly blocked by the aisle. Altered Priest's doorway. East window of 1871 in Early English style: a group of 3 lancets with a circular window above but no containing arch. Interior. Nave has a scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof of 1871, with re-used moulded tie beam carrying a C19 crown-post. C15 cornice. Chancel roof also renewed 1871; boarded ceiling. 2-bay aisle arcade; original aisle roof. Elaborate chancel arch of 1871, in C13 style: the arch is carried on a large marble shaft surrounded by 3 smaller ones, with foliage capitals and spreading leaves at the base. East window has cusped surround supported on colonnettes, all of 1871. Rood loft stair rises from sill of north east nave window. Against the stair is a C15 statue niche with cusped ogee arch and carved shields in the spandrels. Font has C13 octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble with 2 shallow-arched panels on each face; shaft and base of 1871, replacing a C15 shaft now in the aisle. At west end of nave is a C16 bench withbalustraded bookrest dated 1595. Nave poppyhead benches are of 1871. South wall of aisle has niche with remains of original colouring. For further notes see Church Guide, 1986.
Listing NGR: TM1913965913
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Whitehouse, Robert
Rights Holder: Whitehouse, Robert
Brick, Flint, Lead, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Private Chapel, Chapel