Stables Approximately 120 Metres North East Of Kitley House
- 20 Jun 2002
- Stables Approximately 120 Metres North East Of Kitley House, Yealmpton, South Hams, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 55 SE YEALMPTON 4/249 29/3/60 Stables approximately 120 metres north east of Kitley House
Stable range including coach house. Circa 1820 to 25 and probably contemporary with G.S. Repton's remodelling of Kitley House qv. although the stables are classical in style. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slurried slate hipped roofs with wide eaves. Symmetrically arranged on four sides of a courtyard. The coach house on the north side is two storeys, 1:5:1 bays, end bays advanced slightly. Small square first floor windows. Ground floor three segmentally arched carriage doors and chamfered round-arched stable doorways at either end. This block has a parapet and string course and small ashlar chimney stacks. Single storey stables flanking, on east and west of yard with projecting gabled portals with chamfered segmentally arched carriageways.
Enclosing the yard lower single storey wings on the south side with entrance at the centre flanked by plain gate piers.
Listing NGR: SX5608951532
Copyright IoE Mr Mel Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Ellis, Mel
Rights Holder: Ellis, Mel
Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian Gate Pier, Unassigned, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Carriageway, Road, Road Transport Site, Coach House, Building