The Old Mill
- 14 Aug 2002
- The Old Mill, Mill Lane, Yealmpton, South Hams, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK5851 YEALMPTON MILL LANE (North Side)
237-/4/10001 The Old Mill
Corn mill, extended or rebuilt, now partly disused. Late C18-early C19, extended and altered mid-late C19. Coarse limestone rubble with rubble dressings to roughly level with first-floor window heads, flatter rubble to upper floors over first-floor brick heads, rubble E gable external stack and slate roof, half-hipped to the mill. PLAN : L-shaped, W mill with wheel pit to W side, and E warehouse/store with single storey shed at E gable) 3 storeys; 2:3-window S mill gable and store elevation. EXTERIOR: Mill has a 3-window W elevation with the central section above first floor slightly recessed, windowless ground floor, rubble heads to first-floor casements, and second floor casements under the wall plate; late C19 concrete trough forms head race at first floor level to remains of the turbine which replaced the water wheel, above wheel pit. S gable has a raking canopy to a stable door, timber lintels to single ground, first- and second-floor casements, and C19 brick segmental arched casements to the right above a brick segmental archway; pigeon holes to second floor. Rear gable half-hipped with an upper casement. E side has 2 doorways and 2 ground-floor windows, one first-floor window, with stone arched heads and a small central second-floor light. Store has evenly-spaced ground-floor openings with stone heads and right-hand doorway, brick heads to first-floor casements and second floor casements under wall plate. Rear elevation has a central hoist bay with double doors to first and second floors under a hipped canopy on timber brackets, paired doorways either side with a further doorway to the left, with a single first- and second-floor window either side as the front. The end gable has coarse stone to a former first-floor gable with the square stack rising to the ridge; later single-storey shed with hipped roof attached to the end, with double doors to the N. INTERIOR: The upper storeys of the mill contain milling equipment including belt shafting from the turbine and second-floor corn bins either side of an axial cat walk, with considerable evidence in the walls and floors of the mill's former work. The former store divided lengthwise on the ground floor has animal stalls to the front and a stair at the E end, the first-floor has an axial row of C19 timber posts supporting the clear top floor. Mid-late C19 king post scissor trusses to both sections. HISTORY: A mill is indicated on the deeds from 1630, and marked on the 1841 Tithe map. The chimney may indicate an industrial use to do with drying. The mill pond stands to the NE and is connected to the mill by a brick leat. Despite the loss of the wheel and milling plant, this is a comparatively unaltered corn mill which has evidence of earlier uses. It forms part of a good early C19 group with the adjoining cart house and barn (qv), demonstrating the semi-industrial nature of agricultural practice at this time.
Listing NGR: SX5819751677
Copyright IoE Mr Mel Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Ellis, Mel
Rights Holder: Ellis, Mel
Brick, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian Corn Mill, Victorian Industrial, Mill, Industrial Building, Food Processing Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Watermill, Water Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Warehouse, Commercial, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building, Water Wheel, Leat, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Channel, Watercourse, Mill Pond, Pond