- 6 Jul 2002
- Paganshill Farmhouse, Chew Stoke, Bath And North East Somerset, Somerset, BS40 8UN
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. 3/61 Paganshill Farmhouse 21.9.60 II
Farmhouse. C17 origin, rear wing remaining, front block c.1820, with later alterations and additions. Rubble, rendered, brick, concrete tiled hipped roof to front block with stacks to sides, double Roman tiled rear roofs. U-plan formed by rear wing and rear former attached cow-house, now living accommodation.
2-storeys and 3 windows, all 16-pane sashes with keystone and stepped voussoirs, central Doric porch with panelled frieze and cornice, glazed C20 door; plinth and string course at cills of first floor windows, bracketted eaves; curtain wall of single storey height to left with pointed arched door, single storey addition to right of later C19 with smaller 16-pane sash, parapet wall and coping. Right return has single storey lean-to along ground floor with pointed arched Y-tracery panelled door, gable end of earlier farmhouse to right with brick gable stack; rear of side wing has C20 3-light window with glazing bars. Left return has single storey and 3 window attached house, formerly cow-house, remodelled C20.
Rear of earlier farmhouse has 3-light C17 casement with timber lintel, iron stanchions and wooden shutters, timber lintel remaining to left, 4-pane sash above with timber lintel; inner side has ground floor paired sash with horns and first floor small 16-pane sash in gable; rear of main house built up over former yard, has door and small 16-pane sash, first floor of brick with 3 windows, 6 panes each light; attached to right, former dairy, 2 storeys with hipped roof, has 8-pane light to inner side at ground floor and 4-pane light with segmental head to rear, C20 porch in angle with former cow-house. Interior: rear wing has moulded doorframe, fireplace with cambered lintel and stone jambs, carved wooden panelling dated 1646 and 1657, possibly removed from Church of St. Andrew (q.v.) at time of C19 restoration.
Listing NGR: ST5592062426
Copyright IoE Mr Iain Sim. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Sim, Iain
Rights Holder: Sim, Iain
Brick, Concrete, Render, Rubble, Tile, Tudor Farmhouse, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Agricultural Dwelling, Jacobean Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Cow House, Animal Shed, Dairy, Food And Drink Processing Site