Barclay's Bank / Naval Bank
- 24 Nov 2002
- Barclay's Bank, 16 High Street, Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9 5RY
- Naval Bank, Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9 5RY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5180 HIGH STREET (South Side) No 16 (Barclay's Bank) SX 8060 SW 1/51 7.1.52.
Circa 1585 in Dutch Renaissance manner; the front was raised and re-fenestrated in the later C18, and the ground floor loggia infilled. The building was originally of "deux corps de batiments" type; the separate kitchen block and gallery were demolished in 1968. The building became the Naval Bank in 1902. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Hipped Welsh slate roof. Plastered timber-framed front. Modillion eaves cornice. Decorated plaster friezes with lozenge motifs and date "1585" and initials "N.B" (1st floor).
Rusticated pilasters on quoins to 1st and 2nd floors. (former frieze of 2nd floor removed when building was heightened). Later C18, linked, architraved sash windows to 1st and 2nd floors with glazing bars. Former ground floor loggia with 3 bay Tuscan colonnade with semi-elliptical arches and enriched spandrels. Mid C19 segmental arched sash window infill to colonnade. House doorway with re-hung original doors of 1585 with pilasters carrying semi-elliptical blind arch (repeating motif of colonnade); rusticated panel infill with wrought iron pegs. Interior remodelled but retains fine 1st floor plaster ceiling decorated with rib work enriched with floral motifs.
Ceiling beam and frieze decorated with rose motifs and roundels inscribed "M.E." (M. Laithwaite)
Listing NGR: SX8020860410
Copyright IoE Mr Graham White. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: White, Graham
Rights Holder: White, Graham
Plaster, Timber, Welsh Slate, Medieval Kitchen, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Merchants House, Stuart House, Jacobean Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, Bank (Financial), Commercial, Hall House