Church Of St Peter
- 27 Aug 2002
- Church Of St Peter, Bridge Street, Brafferton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 4370 BRAFFERTON BRIDGE STREET 8/18 (north side, off) 17.5.60 Church of St Peter
Church. C15 west tower, early C16 east chapels and chancel arcade. Nave and east wall of chancel rebuilt 1826-31. J P Pritchett. Restored 1878. Sandstone ashlar. Slate roof to chancel, other roofs concealed. West tower, wide aisleless nave and 2-bay chancel flanked by chapels. Battlemented 3-stage tower with set-offs. 3-light window with C20 glazing, tiny trefoil window and 2-light bell openings. Battlemented nave of greater width than east end. Wooden roof structure. Stepped group of 3-tall windows with transoms to each side adapts Perpendicular tracery design of chancel.
Battlemented east chapels and chancel. 4-centred chancel with door. Inscription to east wall of north chapel: 'Soli deo gloria' and to the south wall of the south chapel: 'Orate aia Radulfi Nevell fundatoris istius cacellarii'. Below are 3 carved shields of Ralph Nevill, his wife and daughter Katherine, wife of Sir Walter Strickland and the words: 'et gloria soli deo honor et...' Plain chancel arcade with octagonal piers, capitals partly recent. Chamfered 2-centred arches C19 east window with glass by Kempe (also in south chapel) 1884-91. C14 font basin. Memorial slab to Laton Trewen Turner d.1777 with urn and inscription to north side of west wall of nave.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966, P86-7.
Listing NGR: SE4364670152
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Briggs, Peter
Rights Holder: Briggs, Peter
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Medieval Tower, Tudor Unassigned, Building, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative