Church Of St George
- 29 Sep 2002
- Church Of St George, Woolhope, Herefordshire, HR1 4QR
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WOOLHOPE CP WOOLHOPE SO 63 NW
4/268 Church of St George
Parish church. Part of chancel C12, nave and aisles c1300, west tower late C13, restored 1848 and 1883 when the south porch was added and the south aisle extended eastwards. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings, tiled roofs. Continuous arcaded nave and chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. West tower: three stages, diagonal buttresses to north-west and south-west with off-sets; first and second stages are con- tinuous, chamfered lancet to north and south sides of second stage, larger roll-moulded lancet to each side of the top stage; double string course beneath plain parapet with a waterspout to north-west and south sides; newel lights to south side of west end with corbel head to string course above dividing second and third stages. North aisle has a trefoil-headed restored single-light west window, three restored windows to the north each of two lights, a priests' door to the west of the easternmost and a chamfered lancet at the east end. The east window has three restored lights with trefoiled heads beneath cinquefoil tracery; south window, again restored, has one light with a trefoiled head; at the south-east corner is a diagonal buttress with off-sets. South aisle has C19 lancets in the eastern part, one C15 3- light trefoiled window to the east of the porch and a pair of C19 lancets under a relieving arch at the west end. C19 oak south porch has arch-braces from front corner-posts to a cambered tie-beam supporting a crown post and panelled sides with cinquefoiled openings above. South doorway has C13 2- centred chamfered arch and jambs with label and stops. Interior: C19 con- tinuous wagon roof to nave and chancel; curved braces to collars in trussed rafter roofs of north and south aisles; a deeply splayed C12 window separates the east end of the north side of the chancel from the north aisle; restored north arcade and C19 south arcade, the eastern piers octagonal, the rest cylindrical; north-west arch is semi-circular, the north-east 2-centred.
Piscina in chancel has multi-foiled head and quatrefoil drain. Enclosing the chancel on three sides are C19 screens. Cyclindrical C19 diapered pulpit and contemporary font with four columns supporting square basin decorated with trefoil-headed panels; above is a pyramidical font cover with cut-out quatrefoils, chain and pulley. Tower arch is 2-centred with double chamfers, the inner one supported on each side by a cluster of three wall shafts on corbels, one with a head. Two coffin lids, one possibly C13, the other C14 in north aisle; cushion capital on shaft stands at the west side of the south door. (RCHM Vol II, p 220-1).
Listing NGR: SO6115535785
Copyright IoE Angela Stanger-Leathes. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Stanger-Leathes, Angela
Rights Holder: Stanger-Leathes, Angela
Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Coffin, Funerary Site