This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHARLBURY CHURCH LANE SP3519 5/27 (South End) The Priory 27.8.56 GV II
Former court-house belonging to Eynsham Abbey. C16 or earlier with C17 and later additions. Coursed rubble; some timber lintels and ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. L-plan originally with hall and cross- passage, now with extensive additions. 2-span roof to left wing. 2 storeys and attic. Main part is a 5-window range with gabled crosswing to right. Stone mullioned windows with leaded lights and drip moulds on ground floor and to-left of first floor. C20 French windows in similar style in centre of right part. First floor has two 2-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows with ovolo moulded lintels flanking a 3- light casement. Attic window has wooden mullions with rectangular leaded lights. C16 side chimney to right; gable end chimney to left, and one ridge stack. Small C18 gable-fronted wing set back to left. Projecting C20 gabled wing in similar style to right has date 1935 on sundial.
Interior has doors with 2-centred head to former service wing. Principal ground-floor room to right has ogee moulded and chamfered ceiling beams and a stone fireplace with hollow chamfer, keystone and reset jambs.
Smaller Tudor-arched fireplace on first floor. Roof has windbraces and stop chamfered purlins. C17 wing to left has through purlin roof.
Listing NGR: SP3553219387
© Mrs Priscilla Frost. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Frost, Priscilla
Rights Holder: Frost, Priscilla
Ashlar, Rubble, Stone, Timber, Medieval Court House, Tudor Civil, Elizabethan Law Court, Legal Site