Queen Anne House Including Tower To Rear
- 18 Aug 2002
- Queen Anne House Including Tower To Rear, Church Lane, Charlbury, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7 3PX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHARLBURY CHURCH LANE SP3519 5/26 (West side) Queen Anne House including tower to rear GV II
Former vicarage. Early C18. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; C20 tiled roof. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. 6-panelled (4 glazed) door to right of centre has fanlight with radial glazing bars and stone architrave partly concealed by later hood on consoles. Sash windows have thick glazing bars and lugged architraves with keyblocks. 2 timber- clad gabled windows. Gables with kneelers have stone copings and end chimneys. Saxon-style tower with 4 gables added to rear for Thomas Silver, incumbent 1828 to 1853. Interior of the house (not inspected) has C18 panelled doors, window shutters and fireplaces. The building was apparently remodelled in late C18, and the addition of the C19 tower reflects the interests of Thomas Silver, formerly Rawlinson Professor of Anglo-Saxon. VCH Oxfordshire 10 (1972), 149-50.
Listing NGR: SP3550819418
Copyright IoE Mrs Priscilla Frost. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Frost, Priscilla
Rights Holder: Frost, Priscilla
Ashlar, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Stuart Vicarage, Georgian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Tower, Unassigned, Building