This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHARLBURY SP3519 FISHER'S LANE 5/54 (North side) Methodist Chapel and adjoining school GV II
Methodist Chapel and school. 1823 on gable of chapel; 1844 on school.
Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Chapel has central double doors in round arch flanked by round headed sash windows with glazing bars, intersecting at heads. 3 similar first-floor windows light the gallery at south end, all with plain stone architraves and keyblocks. Gable parapet has stone coping and ball finial. Gable-fronted school room has two 3-light stone mullioned and transomed on ground and first floor. Diocletian window in gable with mock round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars to rear. Wesleyan Sunday School.
Inside, the lobby screen under the chapel gallery has raised and fielded panels. The gallery with original tiered pews is supported on 2 wooden columns and has stairs with square-section balusters. Match-boarded dado.
Original ceiling ventilors. Door from gallery leads onto first-floor school room with match-boarded roof and tie-beam trusses with wooden struts and iron ties.
Listing NGR: SP3591419388
© Mrs Priscilla Frost. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Frost, Priscilla
Rights Holder: Frost, Priscilla
Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, School, Education