Wall And Gateway Approximately 14 Metres To South Of Chancel Of Church Of St John The Baptist

Date:
24 Jul 2002
Location:
Wall And Gateway Approximately 14 Metres To South Of Chancel Of Church Of St John The Baptist, Brampton Road, Bishops Castle, South Shropshire, Shropshire
Reference:
IOE01/07585/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. BRAMPTON ROAD (south side)

12/9 Wall and gateway approxi- mately 14 metres to south of Chancel of Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Wall and gateway. Circa 1860, incorporating early C13 remains of the pre-1860 church of St. John the Baptist g.v. Coursed limestone rubble wall with sandstone ashlar details. Approximately 22 metres long and 1.5 metres high, north-west/south-east. Re-sited doorway at north-west end with moulded pointed-arch, 3 orders of shafts with stiff- leaf capitals to north-east, and boarded door with decorative strap hinges; re-sited triple sedilia at south-east end with moulded shafts leading without capitals to moulded cinquefoiled arches within overall square heads, and backed by re-used tombstones to north-east. Cranage also refers to a re-sited piscina, cusped window head, and a large Jacobean figure supposed to represent Gervas Needham, none of which were visible at time of resurvey (June 1984). Cranage, Part 5, pp.38-39

Listing NGR: SO3233088390

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0043 IOE Records taken by John Annetts; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr John Annetts. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Annetts, John

Rights Holder: Annetts, John

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Victorian Gate, Unassigned, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier