Church Of St Peter
- 4 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Peter, Brays Lane, Rocklands, Breckland, Norfolk
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 99 NE ROCKLANDS BRAY'S LANE
4/53 16/7/58 Church of St. Peter - I
Parish church. C12 west tower, C15 nave, C20 chancel and details of different dates. Flint built with ashlar dressings, thatched nave, chancel with plain tiles. Round tower of 3 stages, the lower blank. Stair turret to south pierced by slit and trefoil lights with conical roof and stages continuous with tower deliniated by string courses. 4 slit windows to ringing chamber.
C14 octagonal belfry with ashlar quoins and 2-light ogeed windows alternating with blind windows under continuous string course. C15 gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses and wave moulded entrance arch with chamfered inner face on circular responds and polygonal capitals. Brick hood mould on labels and other repairs 1624. Central tablet inscribed IEAMS. RAINOR. GEAVE. THIS.
GODLI. WORK. 1624. Other inscribed tablets irregularly placed. C20 shouldered parapet. 2 brick round-headed lancets to west and one 4-centred light to east, also 1624. Nave carries west parapet on kneelers with fleuron decoration, 2 3-light C15 panel traceried nave windows under 4 centred arches. Short transeptual extensions to east with 2-light C14 windows in form of cinquefoil lights supporting a cusped spherical triangle. Diagonal buttresses at east.
Chancel of 1909. Diagonal buttresses and 5-light east window divided by rising mullions with reticulation in sub arches. Gabled vestry at south west of nave 1908 with 3-light Perpendicular south window. Interior. Tall tower arch with hollow chamfer moulding. Scissor braced roof 1950. Stair turret lit from nave by one slit and 2 trefoil windows and entered through C14 timber door with 3 strap bands under shouldered lintel. Tower screen is fragment of rood with one-light ogee divisions below Perpendicular panelling rising to top rail. Rood screen from Tottington church of 3 one-light ogee bays flanking wider ogee opening. Lights have cusps and crocketed finials rising to top rail and rest on panelled base. Base in 3 bays each side with crocket canopy carved on face of stile. Each bay of 2 cusped and sub-cusped lights supporting petal lozenge under super-arch. Angels and diaper fill spandrels.
Rood loft parapet of 12 panelled lights below beam which carries figures of crucified Christ, St. Mary and St. John. 20 benches from Tottington with traceried ends, poppy heads and some animal arm rests, all late C14. Early C17 panelled pulpit with C20 stem and plinth. Front rail before pulpit dated 1631 with frieze of scroll work. Fine mid C14 octagonal font with tracery panels on bowl and encircled quatrefoils on stem.
Listing NGR: TL9900197047
Copyright IoE Mr David R. Wickham. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wickham, David R.
Rights Holder: Wickham, David R.
Ashlar, Flint, Thatch, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship